If you’ve experienced mid-cycle pain or cramping during ovulation then you are not alone. What you may be experiencing is called Mittelschmerz – a german word which literally translates into “middle pain”.
An explanation for this type of pain is that just prior to ovulation, follicle growth may stretch the surface of the ovary, causing pain. At the time of ovulation, fluid or blood is released from the ruptured egg follicle and may cause irritation of the abdominal lining. Mittelschmerz may be felt on one side one month, then switch to the opposite side the next month, or it may be felt on the same side for several months in row.
Ovulation usually occurs about two weeks after the first day of your last period. About twenty percent of women will experience severe pain and cramps on one side of the lower abdomen. Occasionally, in addition to mid-cycle pain and cramping, some women may experience nausea, and/or light menstrual spotting. Mittelschmerz usually lasts for 6 to 8 hours in most women; however, occasionally it can last as long as twenty-four to forty-eight hours. Keep in mind that although the pain may feel like something serious is wrong, Mittelschmerz is rarely serious.
Some Useful Care Tips:
- get rest
- drink at least 8 glasses of water a day
- try using a heating pad or taking warm baths to ease the pain
- use OTC anti-inflammatory drugs such as acetaminophen or naproxen sodium
- do temperature checks several times a day to be sure you are not developing an infection
- call your doctor if the pain is severe and these self-help tips do not ease your mid-cycle pain
- importantly, if you experience mid-cycle ovulation pain that lasts longer than 2 or 3 days, experience heavy bleeding, or have any unusual vaginal discharge call your doctor
Important Signs To Watch For – you need emergency care if any develop
- vomiting blood
- blood in stool
- increased pain
- faintness or dizziness
- high fever
- difficult or painful urination
- swollen abdomen
- difficulty breathing
BirthControlBuzz is a service company that provides birth control prices, birth control types (prescription required), health administrative services, and birth control statistics predominantly to US patients seeking to purchase pharmaceuticals on-line.
For more information, call 1-866-868-8850 or visit http://www.birthcontrolbuzz.com/.
Birth Control Buzz is a service company that provides birth control prices, types of birth control(prescription required), health administrative services, and birth control statistics predominantly to US patients seeking to purchase pharmaceuticals on-line. For more information, call 1-866-868-8850 or visit http://www.birthcontrolbuzz.com/.